Sunday, March 18, 2012

"Simple things are even BETTER..."



I am still amazed that night before I write this article in my desktop computer. I was thinking of what introduction could be nicer to write before somebody texted me a quote “Forget the risk and take the fall, if it’s what you want, then it’s worth it all”---a very simple quotation coming from an unknown sender. As I read it, there was someone whom I remembered, captivated and shook my peaceful mind. A very notable and profound person I have just known last holy week. A very caring and always ready to lend a hand, a man full of unending thoughts and principles in different perspective of servant leadership---His Holiness Luigi di Liegro of Rome---A priest for the needy people.
I have always been defining leadership as an invitation to greatness that we extend to others. As a student/youth leader, I have constructed my own views and insights about the latter realm; I found out that it’s a thing very difficult to understand. It has different dimensions. I have read in an inspirational book that it has also two kinds, the one that we ought to do because the environment oblige us to do it so and the other one is the one that we extend to others unconsciously because of the different reasons affecting to do such (love, passion, and the willingness to share oneself without any responsibility to do it). The first one is what I called the ‘extensive leadership’ such as a politician governing a huge community in which the betterment/greatness is conforming in general views. The other one is the ‘intensive leadership’ such as father’s concern to his children and any simple yet positive influencing that we extend to others---and this kind of leadership has been depicted by this man known as ‘charity man’ and a best synonym for the term ‘servant leadership’.

As I watched this man’s life story, I realized the real value of servant leadership. I depicted two major elements of it from him and that is “faith” and “dedication to share oneself” (if you will see the definition of the word dedication, you will be amazed by its synonymous words). Dedication that led him to attain what he wanted for the needy people of Rome.

“Have you ever wondered what this word can do to make a difference?”

Fr. Di Liegro wanted to recover the distorted people of Rome from the absolute moral and social destruction back in his time. He saw the fair situation of the city that challenged him to make a change by helping those people to save their spiritual, moral, and social beings. Because of the condition, he had not convinced any of the people to repent their lives. He failed to influence any of them for their good. He tried every single ways to convinced them at first but he failed.

I remember myself having such similar situation in life in leading the youth who are in the wrong lanes. I have been coward to continue the encouragement I started because of the thought that all the efforts will just be wasted in the end. I was embarrassed as I compare myself to him. Fr.di Liegro didn’t even react on it; instead, he tried every single possible ways to get rid them from the possible destruction. There were times that some, particularly the government thought of him as an idealistic priest who would have just try to change the status but later will stop---surrendering. Fr.di Liegro didn’t even bother by these factors hindrance in his mission---and going back to the quotation, “Forget the risk and take the fall, if it’s what you want, then it’s worth it all”, that’s what he did. He did not stop at all, instead, he continue sharing himself to others without any in return. Fr.di Liegro was able to established homes for the lost ones, for those who have abandoned by their families, for those who have nothing to eat along the streets, and for those who have incurable diseases particularly AIDS. The government nor the church didn’t even know the positive impact Fr. Luigi has started. They pessimistically judged the initiative of an individual to make a change, to make a difference. When Fr. Luigi died, so much people mourned about his passing, they apprehended all the good things Fr. Luigi had done to them; it had greatly influenced their lives.

The point of which is that leadership can be in different ways not because he’s a priest but because he wanted to have a change…a positive change. The real fulfillment of a leader should be based on how greatly we influenced and share ourselves to others’ lives, how we make a difference even in the simplest things, and how are we dedicated to this as Fr. Luigi had shown.

I believe that even today, Fr.di Liegro’s character could be hiding in anybody living in this world that would possess a dedication toward any form of positive leadership that will surely uphold change for the betterment of all. We should not stop dreaming to attain what we want to happen. Sometimes, being idealistic---sticking in our principles can lead us to achieve the things we wanted to happen……of course, visions start in just mere and pure ideals…May the GOD BLESS YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment